Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
These Apps for Education notes are from “Navigating the Wild West of Apps”, a webinar presented by Playaway Products and Library Journal on April 19, 2018.
Why use educational apps? Learning apps have a powerful impact on education (slide). They can:
- Increase motivation and engagement with learning by +98%
- Increase math efficiency by +66%
- Increase reading efficiency by +40%
- Increase science test scores by +29%
- Sharpen fine motor skills
- Expand vocabulary
- Decrease high school dropout rates
We still need to remember that Internet access is limited for many families. Playaway pre-loaded Launchpad tablets are grade-level and subject specific, and do not require access to the Internet. Click here for more information about Playaway products for schools and to see vendors who can also sell you these items, including Follett and Mackin.
Here are some sources of educational apps:
- Teachthought - the 55 Best Free Education Apps For IPad
- Family Education - 21 free educational apps for kids, mostly for K-8, but also, for example, SAT Word Slam or Science 360, for kids ages 12 and up
- App Friday/ Moms with Apps - highlights kids’ educational apps from family-friendly developers; you can subscribe to their weekly newsletter or follow them on Twitter.
- Commonsense Education - reviews and ratings from Commonsense and teachers where available. Search for an app to meet educational objectives. Check out their review of Freckle.
- Commonsense Media - Browse Free Educational Apps, Games, and Websites
- Parents Choice Gold Award - family and educator tested. Check out their review of Mission US: Up from the Dust.
- Academics Choice - winners must apply and pay fee to be evaluated. A panel of highly qualified academics, parents, teachers, homeschoolers and children evaluate products based on educational benefits such as higher-order thinking skills, character building, creative play, durability and originality. Check out their review of Solar Walk: 3 D Solar System Model.
- Vito Technology - Award-winning space and dinosaur apps for elementary and older kids.
- Teacherswithapps - 32 of the best free education apps