In order to open and check out Follett eBooks, a student or teacher must log in with their own Destiny login username and password. If a student or teacher does not have a Destiny login username and password, they can enter the Shared Access username and password for their library site when prompted to log in when opening a Follett eBook. If the IP address for your school has been entered into the FollettShelf setup (see the Add IP Address tab on this page for instructions on doing this), students and teachers will automatically get the Shared Access login, and will be able to Open a Follett eBook. Using the Shared Access username and password does not allow for checking out or downloading a Follett eBook.
How can I find out/change the Shared Access Username and Password?
How can I change loan periods for Follett eBooks?
How do I add Follett eBooks from the RILINK district FollettShelf (BookLynx) to my library's FollettShelf and Destiny catalog?
You may need to refresh/reload the page to see the current set of instructions. After you have added the titles that you want, you should force an immediate synchronization, by clicking on Update on the Destiny Digital Setup page which appears after you Close the eBook shelf. Doing this will produce a report in the Job Manager in your site’s Back Office that will let you know when the new titles have been added to your catalog.
How can I get statistics for eBook circulations?
Note: Patron types were automatically loaded from Destiny Classic. A patron type is assigned to a user in their Destiny patron record.
Note: Settings for digital Circulation Types should match in both Library Policies in the Back Office and Policies in Setup in Destiny Discover.
If your school enrollment includes a large range of grade levels, you may want to set up additional Patron and Circulation types in Destiny so that you can set different loan periods, limit the number of titles that can be checked out, or restrict access to items in the collection that are not appropriate for younger students. To do this:
1. Set up additional Circulation Types in your site's Back Office, such as "YA eBooks" and "YA audio books". Remember to Save.
2. Set up an additional Patron Type, such as "YA student". In YA student, set the parameters you want, including parameters for the new Circulation types that you set up in Step 1. Make sure to include loan periods and any limits on the number of titles that can be checked out.
3. Edit all of the other Patron types for students, setting the number of items that can be borrowed for the new Circulation types that you added in Step 1 to zero(0).
4. Contact RILINK staff about updating your student records, indicating which grade levels should be included in the new Patron Type, so that student records can be updated accordingly.
5. Go to Destiny Discover, click on the hamburger symbol in the upper left-hand corner, and then scroll down the left-hand column to Setup.
6. Click on Policies. Make sure that the new Circulation and Patron types that you set up in your site's Back Office are reflected there, and change any parameters to match the ones that you set in the Back Office if they are different. You can edit each type by choosing Edit from the drop-down menu under Action. Remember to Save any changes.
7. Under the hamburger symbol in Destiny Discover, click on Setup and then Title Maintenance. Once the titles in BookLynx are displayed, choose to see the items you have already chosen for your collection by clicking on Site under the district drop-down menu in the left-hand column.
8. Sort by Interest level to see the YA titles, and then change the Circulation Type for each one to one of the Circulation types that you created in Step 1, depending on whether it is an eBook or an audio book. Repeat the process for any other Interest Level, such as Adult, that you want to include in the restricted titles. Remember to Save your changes.
Note: You can add titles and change their Circulation type at the same time by not clicking on Site Step 7.
Once all of the steps have been completed, only students with a Patron Type that you created in Step 2 or teachers and staff will be able to find and Open eBooks or audio books with the Circulation types that you created in Step 1.
Holds can now be placed on eBooks. Permission to place Holds must first be turned on in Back Office.
To activate Holds in Destiny Discover
Please remember when establishing Max Checkouts and Max Holds that BookLynx is a shared option. Follett provides videos on placing Holds in general on the Follett Community site.